Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November 27, 2012


You know, if you don't like the weather here, you can just wait a day or two and get a completely different experience.  Today it's winter, or looks like winter, 20 degrees colder than yesterday, gloomy, gray, and windy.  A front is blowing through, and blowing here is the operative word.  We had thunderstorms last night, lots of noise and a little rain.  This morning no rain, but a blustery wind that really making things feel cold, and I know mostly it's just the suggestion of cloud and wind that makes it feel that way.   With the temperatures at the moment in the mid 50s, it sure does feel a lot cooler than yesterday when the high was 83.

I am always amazed at how some little thing can make me see the bigger picture, or at least a picture that was taken of the same thing in a different light.  Isn't it a nice thing to be able to get out of your rut and perhaps into someone else's for a little while?  Even the grooves of a new rut can sometimes take us to a whole new place.

Parallax

You never know
What will change the world-
a word lightly spoken,
a touch from a stranger,
a glance from a woman
in a red dress,
or a flower opening in your garden.
What you do know
down deep in your bones
is that the cells have
lined up in a new arrangement,
muscles grown
where before was weak and hollow,
and when you woke up this morning,
something else was on your mind
because the old furniture had moved
around to make room.
A momentary alignment of planets
has opened a door somewhere.
You never know how or when,
only that it means
Everything.

Lenore Horowitz
 

Sometimes when I think about teaching classes, I like to think that something I have said or done would make a new arrangement in the thoughts of one of my students.  Parents have told me that their students are still making beadwork I taught them, but I hope when they go to make a choice they remember they make good choices, they have a little more confidence in those choices.  Maybe a door has opened somewhere, and the furniture inside the mind has moved a little bit to make room for new ideas, new skills, new confidence.  Because I so enjoy looking at things in strange new ways, I hope some of my students get infected with that desire.  However, even if they don't, it's worth it to me to have the opportunity to perhaps contribute to that door opening, and to enjoy their excitement as they master a new technique,  to share one of my "enthusiasms" with bright new minds!

No comments:

Post a Comment