Monday, November 26, 2012

November 26, 2012

A Monday after a holiday . . . hard to start Monday, and such weird weather for late November, 83 degrees, humid as early spring, with clouds and sprinkles and a generous helping of sun.  Yesterday we had birds everywhere, it sounded like Alfred Hitchcock's rendition of The Birds, kind of scary they were so loud and so MANY of them.  At first I could only hear them but once I went outside I could see them if I looked, small black birds, and I am not sure what they are.  I know more what they aren't, not crows or grackles, maybe starlings or perhaps redwing blackbirds.  Since for the most part you can only see their black silhouette in the trees, and waves and waves of them flying overhead.  The huge crowds of birds had even the larger birds stirred up, vultures and hawks, though when the hawks flew overhead there would be perhaps a minute of total silence, then the cacophony would start up again.  When I came home this morning from school, they are at it again, trees full of birds but no waves, just sitting there cheeping and whistling and generally making a fine racket!

Being Monday, and inundated with birds, I think this poem I have been saving is just exactly what is needed!

Morning Poem

Woke early one morning,
the earth lay cool and still,
when suddenly a tiny bird,
perched on my window sill,
it sang a song so lovely,
so carefree and so gay,
that slowly all my troubles,
began to slip away,
it sang of far off places,
of laughter and of fun,
it seemed his very song,
brought out the morning sun,
I pulled back the covers,
and crept slowly out of bed,
and gently shut the window,
and crushed his freaking head,
I'm not a morning person

Danielle D. Curtis

After raising three children who are not morning people, this poem had me laughing so hard I had tears!  And I can think some of the neighbors who are not morning people would be inclined to such drastic measures for all the really loud bird noises today

I hope you all have a terrific Monday, no matter how it starts!

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahaaa! I jut shared this with my younger brother. When we were younger we lived over East on 3 acres and were greeted most mornings by baby Magpies who were crying out to their parents for food. The spiders that resided in the corners and under the eaves, just outside my brothers window, were always a fave. The funny thing is you'd hear the crying, crying, crying then.... gobble gobble gobble of the bug being placed in bubs craw. My brother has perfected this noise and loves to make us laugh by doing it at family gatherings. He too would throw a shoe or some such at the window (expletives as well) ... it never made any difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dilys, today's poem made me laugh. When we were children, our bedroom was at the top of our house. The pigeons would perch on the roof right next to our windows and start to coo at a very early hour. I've never been able to tolerate any form of cooing since ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister said when she read that she laughed so loud people in the next office came to see what was so amusing! I love the birds, most mornings, but there are days I wish they would sleep later! We have mourning doves here, but they are almost the least noisy birds. Angy, I think I would like your brother! We don't have magpies here but i wish we did, as I think they are gorgeous birds! And any kin to crows is fine with me!

    ReplyDelete