Monday, October 8, 2012

October 8, 2012


Dark out . . . I guess will be dark this time of morning until we go back to a more standard time <smile> though I hate the adjustment.  This weekend I just seemed to do nothing but read.  The newsletter Brain Pickings kept me following interesting links for hours.  I guess my brain was feeling particularly empty and needed a good filling, and so just wanted to soak up random bits of knowledge, so I did.  It was one of those pleasures that is hard to share as the same things do not appeal to other people, who have their own ways of filling up and their own thirst for particular kinds of random learning.

Monday

It's Monday of a new year
the royal blue of night
is slowly eased into gray.
The black branches thicken
appearing without the paper
of their dead leaves.
My life is like that light
slowly moving into being
revealing whatever there is
getting brighter and brighter
finding new colors.
Wind from the north brings
cold and a clarity of air.
All day the light will change,
all day there will be shadows
all day there will be this gift
painting every single moment
so I might notice and rejoice.

S. Crowson


Looking for a poem I discovered this one I had written a couple of years ago, probably for some time later in the fall, but I liked that it started in darkness as this morning does, and on a Monday so I decided to send it.  The line about finding new colors is perfectly appropriate for this time in my life, and we are having a wind from the north, bringing chill and clearing out our usual humidity.  And at my age, it's nice to think of still slowly moving into being!  Like an old fashioned photo I don't think I am done developing yet, images are surely going to come clearer to me some time I hope, and I hope I do go on noticing things as they change and some that stay the same.  It's the rejoicing that I don't seem to have trouble with most mornings, that and gratitude for this life and all this love in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment