Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October 24, 2012

It's dark out and I have to leave early for school.  It seems so odd to be going out into the dark, but it's the season of later dark.  I heard that same mocking bird, same run of songs this morning but only once.  Perhaps he was trying to go back to sleep . . .

A friend sent me a poem that she had written, and it was full of all the daily things I love to write about.  I asked her if I could send it in my morning note and she gave me her permission.  I've known her a long time and it is great to send out work by her.  She usually writes science fiction stories, and non-fiction books about space for children.  I'm glad she has not given up on poetry entirely!

Just Another Day of Another Year
by Marianne Dyson, or someone like her

It's just another day of another year
His mug on the table
Basket full of inside-out socks
a trail of grass clippings across the floor.
He can't hide anything from me
That popcorn smell lingers
Here's another bookclub book we didn't order.
Kids might like it
We both know they won't
We walk around the block
19 years, the same block.
The eyebrows say it all
So and so's grass is high again
Really should fix that driveway
Wouldn't you like a door like that?
We should at least paint ours
All those greasy hand-prints
Rather have a new car
What, to drive to the dollar movie?
Why not. It's only a dollar.

He hits every light on the way
The movie is okay
Kids think it's stupid
Everything is stupid.
But it was only a dollar.
Long line in the lady's room
He waits for me, hands in pockets.

Don't feel like cooking
Send out for pizza
Really shouldn't eat that stuff.
God is great. God is good.
Kid got an A on his spelling test.
Someone found a 2-headed turtle in the ditch.
We are not surprised.
These things happen.

It's just another day of another year
Let the cat out and come to bed.

For us it's the leaves that trail across the floor, and the one-sock phenomenon instead of inside-out.  And I often wonder what people walking past our house make of the sky blue door with white clouds.  After a trip downtown once, where I saw a lovely red door with a black vine painted on it, I came home and painted our door sky with clouds, and I have loved it ever since.   Our dollar movie theater closed a short while back, we will miss it, as we often didn't think to go to see a new movie until it had been out awhile and the only place it was still open was the dollar theater.   A litany of ordinary and some surprising things, that don't really surprise because . . . these things happen.  Another day of another year, and I have to leave and meet with twenty students wanting to learn a new skill, to make something creative!  Though dark, it's a good morning already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment