Monday, October 22, 2012

October 22, 2012

Such lovely weather we've been having, but warmer than usual and more humid, still you can't complain too much, it's better than snow or bitter cold!  This morning I left a little later, late start to school today, and there were so many birds making so many kinds of song you would swear we lived in an aviary!  Little birds, big birds, sea birds, crows, jays, cardinals, mockingbirds, woodpeckers, and more adding their small notes to make up the overall song!  Amazing!  While it started out kind of overcast, now it's large tracts of blue with a scattering of thin white clouds, and still we have the breezes.  Been awhile since we've had stillness.  Everything is moving, and leaves, ones besides the crepe myrtle's, are falling.  Each day the gold crown creeps down the maple tree.

Yesterday, I'm not sure what happened to the blessing . . . I didn't remember to do it until it almost wasn't Sunday any more and by that time I was too sleepy to stay awake to do it, so I thought I would just send one today.  Mondays are good days for a blessing because sometimes we don't feel so blessed about having to get up and go to work!

Morning Prayer: Prayer for Expressing Gratitude

Gracious God,

in the busy-ness of my day, I sometimes forget
to stop to thank you for all that is good in my life.
My blessings are many and my heart is filled with gratefulness
for the gift of living, for the ability to love and be loved,
for the opportunity to see the everyday wonders of creation,
for sleep and water, for a mind that thinks and a body that feels.

I thank you, too, for those things in my life that are less
than I would hope them to be. Things that seem challenging,
unfair, or difficult. When my heart feels stretched and empty,
and pools of tears form in my weary eyes, still I rejoice
that you are as near to me as my next breath and that,
in the midst of turbulence, I am growing and learning.

In the silence of my soul, I thank you most of all
for your unconditional and eternal love.

No author cited.

This prayer, a prayer of gratitude, says a lot of things I think about, some of the most important gifts are ones we don't often think about as gifts, the ability to love and be love, sleep, and even water.  How many places in the world go without fresh water, something we too often take for granted.  And even when things are not going as expected, we are learning, and growing, never far away from the One teaching the lesson, the One to bring us comfort.  So this is a great blessing bent on reminding us we are blessed even when we don't recognize those blessings.  Being reminded, I will even be grateful for going to the grocery store, as it could have been . . . otherwise, and is otherwise for a lot of families in these hard times.  NPR is having their fall campaign today and teaming up with Meal on Wheels, ready made food for senior citizens, making it possible for them to stay in their own homes, surely a blessing for them!

Today find something to be grateful for, something you might not have noticed . . . otherwise.  I am grateful for 20 new students ready to learn something new and make beautiful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment