Monday, February 11, 2013

February 11, 2013


A blustery, chilly gray day with intermittent rain, some of it hard and some no more than a sprinkle.  There is sound filling the morning, pine trees and wind chimes, with the cane sounding like some large animal is rooting around in there, who knows, one could be.  As I was headed to school this morning, I almost collided with a small herd of deer that forgot to look both ways.  A small buck and several does leaped from the thicket lining Youpon.  If they had come from a yard on the right, I could not have stopped in time, but because I saw the flash of them out the driver's side window I had time to stop before I hit them.   I am sure they were as startled as I was, though I know there are more deer roaming around the neighborhood than there used to be.  Too much concrete, too few trees left, and I noticed down the low end of Toddville they are clearing more. <sigh>  They cleared a lot of trees from that huge lot before you get to Meyer, but have done nothing with the lot for the last year or so.  And I don't know why they are cutting the trees down again, a mystery that will be solved at some future time. 

It's Monday, and feels like Monday, the sort of Monday they write cartoons about.   I have been saving this haiku for just such a day! 

Let's put up the net
and make a green world of pretend
in the house. 

Buson 

I would like to pretend that it's some day besides Monday, and some weather besides what we've got.  I would like to pretend that wind from the north never gives me a rotten headache, and that I love gray gloomy days, and the wind.   I will have to pretend sunshine until there is some.  It seems that even my students today would rather be home and sleeping as well.  Today is the first day I have seen them try to paint with their heads pillowed on their arms at the tables.  There was a 5th grad tour and half the class was out for band, or orchestra, or drama or chorus.  Perhaps things will be better Wednesday.  It will almost have to be by definition, it won't be Monday! 

So until it isn't Monday, have a nice green pretend that it's some other day <smile>!

No comments:

Post a Comment