Sunday, May 13, 2012

May 13, 2012

Sunday and Mother's Day and time for the blessing . . .

It's a beautiful day here, cool and breezy, fresh as only spring can be, the bay sparkling in its arms of shore, the sky blue and white and ever-changing.  So many birds are out after all the rain, even the seagulls seem to be noisy this morning, and earlier, my favorite, the crows were out as well, though I couldn't see them, I could hear them discussing this lovely morning.  It's a day to realize how blessed you are and to be grateful for those blessings.

Several years ago I wrote a Mother's Day poem because I could not find one I liked, and I find I still like it, so for today this blessing . . .

A Blessing for Mothers

Bless hands that hold us
Support and strengthen
So we might be strong

Bless words that comfort
Over and over when
There is no help for pain

Bless time that gives us
A measure of who we are
Of who we might become

Bless answers to questions
For which there were answers
And for those that had none

Bless work we noticed and
Work we did not  all work
Daily and continuing

Bless joys as simple as
Sun and sand and those
Still being completed

Bless letting us go and go
When all you wanted was
To keep us and keep us safe

You can't solve all the problems or answer all the questions, you can't hold on when they need to go, you just have to do what you can, and hope.   The easiest part is all the joy, even answering ten thousand questions, taking them to the tide pools, or early morning bird watching for science fair.  The hardest parts are when there is pain and not much you can do, or when they need to go and you have to let them, over and over.  Still there is not anything I would trade for the experience of having each of our kids, whether I gave birth to them, or they just became part of our family.  So today I am grateful for all the kids that call me Mom, for all the children that have been part of our lives and for the fact that our lives embrace and we all continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment