Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February 15, 2012

Dark just becoming light, everything outside so quiet.  Nothing going on this morning . . . just routine.  In the night, the owls were talking in their circle, but this morning no fog horns, but nothing visible in the sky so it must be cloudy.  The morning before light is generally very empty with everything still sleeping but the early risers.  More people out in the later spring and early summer trying to beat the heat but this time of year, only trucks and the school bus generally leave early.

Here is a poem for the really early morning, and the rest of the day as well. 
I love that you don't know who he is talking to, could be anyone, lover or friend or family, but it reminds me of how often one of the kids will come in and make me go out and look at something in the yard . . . the moon rising through the trees, the return of the owls and their babies.  They want me to come out and listen to some sound, or smell something blooming, or look at how red the maple is with its shimmer of seeds.  Sometimes it's a raccoon or armadillo, or a possum, though I am not so awfully fond of possums.  Sometimes it's me getting them to look at birds or the antics of squirrels.  See that I see . . . I am lucky that I often have people around me that make sure I see.  And I return the favor.

Summons

Keep me from going to sleep too soon
Or if I go to sleep too soon
Come wake me up. Come any hour
Of night. Come whistling up the road.
Stomp on the porch. Bang on the door.
Make me get out of bed and come
And let you in and light a light.
Tell me the northern lights are on
And make me look. Or tell me clouds
Are doing something to the moon
They never did before, and show me.
See that I see. Talk to me till
I’m half as wide awake as you
And start to dress wondering why
I ever went to bed at all.
Tell me the walking is superb.
Not only tell me but persuade me.
You know I’m not too hard persuaded

Robert Francis

I rarely wonder why I went to bed at all but I do like to see what is out there, even in the dark, eclipse or full moon, owl or even possum, and in the early light sometimes a new bird, or the black dog playing in rain puddles.  Mornings like this one, dark and still, there is once in awhile a mockingbird greeting the day, or a little later the egret may stalk through the yard, and I want to see what I see, I want to notice patterns and songs, wildlife and tame, anything that I notice makes the day snap into focus and walking through it is a wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment